ARDLETHAN

Ardlethan was an intended town visit but was also coincided with the December 2010 floods.  The trip south along the Newell Highway was the placed upon a 100k diversion via Griffith. The town is just off the main highway junction.

Ardlethan though is a great small, but very active community.

There is a real buzz about the place and the citizens are clearly proud of their town. The Kelpie work dog is the towns chosen mascot and stands proud in the cbd.

Ardlethan was established in the 19th century after gold was discovered but gold mining was short-lived. The railway line opened in 1908. Passenger services ceased in 1983 however the line remains open for goods trains.

Warri Post Office opened on 1 October 1907 and was renamed Ardlethan in 1908.

In 1961, tin mining started in the town, and continued until 1986. The tin mine was reopened in late 2001 but closed in mid 2004 after Marlborough Resources was placed under voluntary administration due to disappointing results at its new processing plant, poor tin price hedging results, and lower-than-expected tin reserves. Agriculture and Tourism are now the main economic drivers.

The hotels in the town are old and country classic.

The War Memorial is located in the centre of the town.

Ardlethan is represented by the main denominations. The churches are 100 year old buildings.

Ardlethan is a nice spot and a stopover should be seriously considered.

Diary notes

 

Fireplace Dump Station
General Store Bottled Gas
Internet Caravan
Camping 4WD
Kitchen Facilities Disabled access
Laundry Toilets
Campervans Accommodation
Meals   Airport
Pets Allowed Boat Ramp
Telephone Picnic Area
Roadside Rest Area Electricity
Scenic Swimming
Tap water   Thermal Area
Stream Water   Walking tracks
Rotary Club Lions Club
Gymnasium   Gardens
Winery Whitewater Rafting
Surfing   Skydiving
Skiing   Scenic Flights
Postal Service Police
Movie Location   Mountain Biking
Kayaking Jet Boating
Information Hospital
Hang Gliding Golf Course