Berry is the next town heading south to Nowra. Berry is a country town that has strong weekend appeal to the Wollongong coffee set. Berry is to Wollongong that Berrima is to Sydney.
In the 1810s, George William Evans, Government Surveyor, reported on the Berry district as a possible settlement and on the good stands of red cedar. Subsequently, itinerant timber cutters visited to cut and send cedar to Sydney. Alexander Berry, with his business partner Edward Wollstonecraft, pioneered European settlement in the Shoal haven region in 1822. The name was changed to Berry in 1889, following the death of David Berry, Alexander's brother, to honour the Berry family.
Berry thrives on tourism, with many souvenir shops, art galleries, antiques and collectibles shops, cafes, restaurants, and hotels. A local public hospital bequeathed by the Berry family, the David Berry Hospital, now serves as a rehabilitation hospital and palliative care hospice.