Bulli is the northern and historic community that forms an element of the greater Wollongong area. Bulli in its own right is quite a nice ‘town’. The first place encountered when heading south from Sydney, and after descending the famous Bulli Pass. A nice beach, parks and the provision of all services are at Bulli.
European wood cutters worked in the area from about 1815. The area was once abundant in Red Cedars; these are now still seen but thinly. The first permanent European settler was Cornelius O'Brien, who established a farm in 1823 and whose name was given in the pass at O’Brien’s Road south at Figtree.
Bulli was the scene of one of Australia’s earliest mining disasters. A monument to the dead is located just near Bulli Railway Station. On March 23, 1887 a gas explosion in the mine killed 81 men and boys, leaving 50 women widows and 150 children without fathers. There was one survivor, a 17 year old boy who became known as "Boy Cope". The mine reopened later in the year.
When visiting Wollongong, Bulli is a base camp that can be recommended.