Deniliquin is one of those places where you relate to the locals; boy has this town got it right. And the response is; yes, we are very proud of what we have. Deniliquin is town that is on the crossroads of a number of highways, plus, as a rule the region is a rich agricultural producer.
Deniliquin is really looking after its heritage characteristics. Have a look at this.
In 1843 the entrepreneur and speculator Benjamin Boyd acquired land in the vicinity of present-day Deniliquin (probably via his agent Augustus Morris). The location was known as The Sand hills. The reason for the change is not readily accounted.
In 1853, William John Wills of the Burke and Wills expedition worked as a shepherd at the Royal Bank sheep station near Deniliquin.
As Deniliquin was established on the convergence of major stock routes between the colonies of Queensland, New South Wales and the Victorian gold rush centres of Victoria, it soon became an important river crossing and the first bridge was built over the Edward River in 1861. The Deniliquin and Moama Railway Company built a private railway in 1879 to connect with Moama, across the Murray River from the busy river port of Echuca, connected by rail to Melbourne. So, the groundwork was in place for future growth.