Finley is on the NSW side of the Murray River sojourn west to Mildura. Finley is also the first town after Jerilderie. Finley is one of those towns that have all of the essential services that cater for this community.
The post office opened on 1 January 1881 but was known as Murray Hut until 1893. Europeans first settled the area around Finley in the early 1840s, with wheat becoming the main crop.
Periods of severe drought, combined with the Great Depression of the early 1930s, forced many farmers to abandon their holdings.
In 1935, construction on the Mulwala Canal began in order to provide employment and bring water to the area’s rich farmland.