Located on the main route approximately midway between the large cities of Sydney and Adelaide at the junction of the Sturt, Cobb and Mid-Western Highways. The township itself is built beside the Murrumbidgee River, part of the Murray-Darling river system;
The locality where Hay Township developed was originally known as Lang’s crossing place (named after three brothers named Lang who were leaseholders of runs on the southern side of the river). It was the crossing on the Murrumbidgee River of a well-travelled stock-route (known as “the Great North Road”) leading to the markets of Victoria
During World War II Hay was used as a prisoner-of-war and internment centre, due in no small measure to its isolated location. Three high-security camps were constructed there in 1940. The Hay Museum (an excellent and converted rail station) gives an excellent portrayal from that era. Be sure to check out the conveniences.
Hay would normally be considered a pass through town, but the museum determines a minimum of half a day is required.