Henty was a town visit that was a very
pleasant surprise. Clearly a proud community that has an equally proud
Henty is another of those towns on the
Olympic Highway between Albury and Wagga Wagga.
The first European explorer
to visit and record the area was Major Thomas Mitchell in 1835. The
first settlers arrived around 1850 were squatters, allowed to lease
The village of Henty was
originally called 'Doodle Cooma'. Nearby wetlands are still called
Doodle Cooma Swamp; they cover 20 square kilometres and are a breeding
area for waterbirds.
The town's new name was
after the Henty family of Portland, Victoria. Henry Henty had leased
Round Hill station north of Gerogery (south of Henty) in the
early 1860s (some suggest the lessor was Edward Henty).
The Henty War Memorial is a
delightfully respectful place that is well cared for.
The Henty Museum is represented with
the Blacksmith Shop
The Henty Hotel is a classic old hotel
that has survived the eras, but along with many of this vintage is
looking forward to a new ‘pub culture’ era.
The Henty churches are representative
of the turn of the century era structures. Well built and with many
years of ‘service’ ahead.