Jindera is a NSW town that is quite close to Albury, but is off the main travel routes. So to that end a small effort will be required to visit the place. Jindera is a nice town and is worth the travel time to visit.
The township was originally known as "Dight's Forest", after John Dight who was a relative of Hamilton Hume. From Hume and Hovell fame who passed through the area, traveling from Sydney to Geelong in 1824. Although likely to be aboriginal, the origin of the place name "Jindera" is now obscure with some thought that it may refer to Jim and Dora who was a pair of Aboriginal conjurers.
Dight's Forest Post Office opened on 1 January 1870 and was renamed Jindera in 1885.
Jindera's chief attraction is the Pioneer Museum, which is contained within an old store and home that belonged to the pioneering Wagner family. The "store" is stocked with authentic goods of the 19th century, while the living area at the rear is furnished in the original style of the era.
The Lutheran pioneers of 1868 had just arrived in Jindera after an overland trek from South Australia, when they erected a log cabin classroom which became St Johnís Lutheran Primary School. Soon afterwards, Jindera Public school was established in 1876. Jindera Public School moved to its current premises in 1972. Recently, in 2009, the Blessed Mary MacKillop School (Albury) opened in the grounds of St Mary's Church, Jindera. The 2011 Catholic Church is a real surprise and just does indicate the traditional church, even new, is a much better design option for a church than most other modern designs.
Jindera is a nice small town that will require an hour or three to enjoy. Be sure to visit.