LOCKHART

Lockhart is another of those Riverina towns that are way off any major highway or route. That said a visit to the town is quite rewarding and the diversion is worth the effort. In spite of being a small community the provision of the key services is provided. A nice town this. As an example is still ‘winning’ tidy town awards and it shows.

Lockhart prides itself as being a Verandah Town that confirms both heritage importance plus lots of century old buildings.

Lockhart was named after C.G.N. Lockhart - a commissioner for Crown Lands in the Murrumbidgee River area in the 1850s. It was originally known as Greens Gunyah, and renamed Lockhart in 1897. Greens Gunyah was so named because a Mr Green was the earliest settler and had a grog shop on the Urana - Wagga Wagga stagecoach route.

Ferriers Post Office opened on 16 May 1882 and was renamed Lockhart in 1898.

The Churches in Lockhart are mostly century plus buildings and a great representation of the era.

The Museum in Lockhart is located near the cbd and opens daily.

The Hotel is also a one hundred year old classic NSW pub.

The Lockhart War Memorial is one block removed from the town.

Although of the main highway routes, the diversion is worth the effort. Coffee, refreshment or stopover is the consideration.

Heritage diary

 

 

 

 

Fireplace Dump Station
General Store Bottled Gas
Internet Caravan
Camping 4WD
Kitchen Facilities Disabled access
Laundry Toilets
Campervans Accommodation
Meals   Airport
Pets Allowed   Boat Ramp
Telephone Picnic Area
Roadside Rest Area Electricity
Scenic Swimming
Tap water   Thermal Area
Stream Water   Walking tracks
Rotary Club Lions Club
Gymnasium   Gardens
Winery   Whitewater Rafting
Surfing Skydiving
Skiing Scenic Flights
Postal Service Police
Movie Location   Mountain Biking
Kayaking   Jet Boating
Information Hospital
Hang Gliding   Golf Course