MULWALA

Still heading west, Mulwala is the next town encountered when heading along the Murray River. Mulwala is the rich poor cousin to Yarrawonga, just over the river; or lake as it is.

Mulwala, a NSW town had its post war growth because of Victorian liquor and gambling laws. The even playing field has not prevented Mulwala continuing to prosper, albeit at a slower rate. That said Mulwala is a young town and there is nothing ‘old’ to get a nostalgic feel.

The town is situated on an artificial lake formed by the damming of the Murray River. The town's name is derived from an aboriginal word for 'rain'.

In 1858 Surveyor Adams marked out a township at the site. In 1866 a new hotel was opened at Mulwala and a school established at the township. Mulwala Post Office opened in 1864 for about six weeks, closed and was reopened on 1 June 1866.The pioneer, James McRae, died in 1866.

The new War Memorial is a paradox when compared to the old.

The Anglican Church is the ‘old’ church in Mulwala.

The Hotels are relatively modern.

The Museum gives a good insight to days past for the wider Riverina Region.

The area is a great place to relax; particularly in summer. Delight yourself and have a day or two or even more at this holiday resort.

Heritage diary

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Fireplace Dump Station
General Store Bottled Gas
Internet Caravan
Camping 4WD
Kitchen Facilities Disabled access
Laundry Toilets
Campervans Accommodation
Meals Airport
Pets Allowed Boat Ramp
Telephone Picnic Area
Roadside Rest Area Electricity
Scenic Swimming
Tap water   Thermal Area
Stream Water   Walking tracks
Rotary Club Lions Club
Gymnasium   Gardens
Winery Whitewater Rafting
Surfing Skydiving
Skiing Scenic Flights
Postal Service Police
Movie Location   Mountain Biking
Kayaking Jet Boating
Information Hospital
Hang Gliding Golf Course