PICTON

Picton is another one of that south of Sydney heritage communities. Picton just yet has not become a ‘suburb’ of Sydney, and given the Razorback Range has to be crossed, Picton will most likely survive bring absorbed into Sydney; for at least another ten years anyway.

Picton was first explored by Europeans in 1798 and remained beyond the limits of legal settlement until 1821. But following the discovery of good land in the interior and the settlements the area was discovered. This opened up the Picton area to settlers, including Henry Colden Antill, who established a 2,000-acre (8.1 km2) property in 1822.

Picton is home to many historic buildings and bridges, the not found easily anymore elsewhere in the state. The viaduct is still in use by the railways.

The George IV Inn, reputedly constructed in 1839, is considered to be one of the oldest hotel buildings in Australia. The cellar contains remnants of convict shackles as prisoners being transported from Sydney to Berrima prison would often be held in Picton overnight.

The St Marks Church and cemetery is a recommended look over.

All churches are ‘old’ and historic. The Catholic has a Macillop alliance.

The Picton War Memorial is sited on the northern edge of the town.

The Railway Museum is a noted exhibit at Picton.

Picton is another stop over option, but does demand a day visit to evolve and enjoy.

Heritage diary

 

Fireplace Dump Station
General Store Bottled Gas
Internet Caravan
Camping 4WD
Kitchen Facilities Disabled access
Laundry Toilets
Campervans Accommodation
Meals   Airport
Pets Allowed Boat Ramp
Telephone Picnic Area
Roadside Rest Area Electricity
Scenic Swimming
Tap water   Thermal Area
Stream Water   Walking tracks
Rotary Club Lions Club
Gymnasium   Gardens
Winery Whitewater Rafting
Surfing   Skydiving
Skiing   Scenic Flights
Postal Service Police
Movie Location   Mountain Biking
Kayaking   Jet Boating
Information Hospital
Hang Gliding Golf Course