Queanbeyan is the entry city to the A.C.T. (Australian Capital Territory) from the East. Not that long ago Queanbeyan was a fringe town that tugged the Canberra rapid and explosive growth and development activity. In recent years Queanbeyan has mirrored the Canberra growth. The advantage Queanbeyan has over Canberra is this is a real town/city.
The town grew from a squattage held by ex-convict and inn keeper, Timothy Beard and Queanbeyan was officially proclaimed a township in 1838 when the population was about 50.
Traces of gold were discovered in 1851 and lead and silver mines also flourished briefly.
Early settlers were harassed by bushrangers, of which James Shaw, William Millet, and John Rueben, John Tennant, Jacky Jacky, Frank Gardiner and Ben Hall were some of the more notorious. A colourful and fearful start for such a small community.