Wentworth is the small town in the deep south west of NSW located where the Darling River join the Murray River. Both in full flood when visited. Wentworth is just over 30 kilomtres from Mildura and both towns are thriving on the grape, orange and associated fruit industries. A very wealthy region.
Named after the famous explorer and politician William Charles Wentworth and the Moorna Post Office opened on 22 February 1855 and was renamed Wentworth in 1860.
In 1876 Wentworth Township was described in the following terms: abridged
“The township is built on rising ground, and, saves in very exceptional seasons, is quite out of reach of flood waters. The population is between 400 and 500. The place appears prosperous and progressive. Wentworth possesses a custom-house. The other public buildings are a post and telegraph office, for Wentworth is on the main telegraph line to Adelaide, and a court-house and offices. There is a resident police magistrate, and two churches in Wentworth are buildings creditable to the town. The Roman Catholic Church is a brick structure, the Protestant Church and several hotels.”
Prosperous then and prosperous now, but Mildura, over the border has been the town to absorb most of the regions populations’ growth.
Wentworth is a great little town with lots to do. Allow a few days to enjoy.