West Wyalong is a poor cousin to those other ‘rich’ mid size country towns such as Parkes, Cowra, and Forbes. There is, on a short visit no easy explanation for this observation. The early split focus on the Wyalong’s may be the reason.
Gold was discovered in September 1893 by Joseph Neeld.
In 1895 West Wyalong was developed 5 km from Wyalong around the bullock track.
As mining declined West Wyalong became the main service centre for agriculture in the surrounding district, although for many years there was rivalry between the towns. Both towns wanted the Temora railway line, but settled on a compromise of a station midway between the two towns, called Wyalong Central.