Blackwater is the ‘coal capitol’ of Queensland. Six major open cut coal mines and one underground dot the landscape surrounding the town and provide its main employment opportunities.
Blackwater is supposedly named after the Blackwater Creek which apparently was first observed to flow with black water, this may have been caused by tree roots growing into the creek. Coal deposits were discovered there by Ludwick Leichardt in 1845.
The Blackwater War Memorial and design is of the modern era.
The ‘museum’ though brand new, has really brought this dour coal town to life. Modern yes but very very informative. Please do not miss this ‘coal’ information museum and display. T
he museum is on the main highway on the western end of the town.