Gladstone is situated between the between the two river mouths lies the deep water harbour for which the city owes its existence.
A colony was eventually established at Port Curtis. Colonel George Barney's expedition was eventful. On January 25 1847, the Lord Auckland , carrying 87 soldiers and convicts, arrived off the southern entrance of Port Curtis and promptly ran aground on shoals off the southern tip of Facing Island.
The fledgling town was named after the British Statesman William Gladstone.
Gladstone is a classic ‘workers’ town that is clearly present to the visitor. Not quite polished on any front. Downtown no longer exists, with all significant retail having moved west.
Gladstone has a lot to offer and it is important for the visitor to allow ample time (days) to enjoy.