The growing commute town Cairns is Gordonvale. Just a quick 20 k from Cairns and with pretty much all services Gordonvale increasingly gains appeal for the town. Gordonvale lies in the shadow of the 900 mtre and famous natural landmark is Walsh's Pyramid.
Gordonvale was previously called Mulgrave and then Nelson. The name Gordonvale was settled on as a tribute to John Gordon, a pioneer in the district.
The area was first settled in 1877 by the Alley and Blackwell families who cut a road through to Trinity Inlet so they could haul out cedar logs. By 1880, the road was well-used by miners and packers and they established the Riverstone Hotel to service the passing trade. After a while, a small town developed, encompassing three pubs, a store and a butcher shop run by John Gordon.
Accommodation options are available at Gordonvale and an overnight stopover is recommended.