HERBERTON

Herberton is only a short distance from Atherton, and likewise is high in the Atherton Tablelands. Herberton is a town that is very proud of its historic past, and this attribute is on display everywhere. Old buildings, museums plus a quaintness that is endearing.

Tin mining underpinned much of the early years and growth of Herberton.

The first European exploration of this area was undertaken in 1875 by James Venture Mulligan. Mulligan was prospecting for gold, but instead found tin on the Herbert River.

The town of Herberton was established on 19 April 1880 by John Newell to exploit the tin find, and mining began on 9 May.

In the late 19th century the Mulligan Highway was carved through the hills from Herberton and passed through what is now Main Street, Atherton, before continuing down to Port Douglas. This road was used by the coaches of Cobb and Co.

Tin mining ceased in Herberton in 1978.

The Historic Village captures much of that era, and the Mining Museum completes the story.

The photographic museum is an absolute must visit. Though a little expensive this is a great show.

The Herberton War Memorial is in the main street.

The Churches is Herberton are on the northern approaches to the town and are preserved buildings.

The remaining two hotels are a clear representative of an earlier era.

When visiting allow a minimum of a day.

Diary notes

 

 

 

Fireplace Dump Station
General Store Bottled Gas
Internet Caravan
Camping 4WD
Kitchen Facilities Disabled access
Laundry Toilets
Campervans Accommodation
Meals   Airport
Pets Allowed   Boat Ramp
Telephone Picnic Area
Roadside Rest Area Electricity
Scenic Swimming
Tap water   Thermal Area
Stream Water Walking tracks
Rotary Club Lions Club
Gymnasium   Gardens
Winery   Whitewater Rafting
Surfing   Skydiving
Skiing Scenic Flights
Postal Service Police
Movie Location   Mountain Biking
Kayaking   Jet Boating
Information Hospital
Hang Gliding Golf Course