After leaving Oakey, it does not take too long before the traveler comes across Jondaryan. A small town just 20 k from Dalby.
In 1859 Jondaryan Woolshed was built to service the rapidly growing wool industry. Jondaryan Divisional Board was created on 11 November 1879 as one of 74 divisions around Queensland under the Divisional Boards Act 1879.
The Jondaryan Property dominated the area, encompassing over 400,000 acres (1,600 km2). The Woolshed was responsible for over 200,000 head of sheep and could cater for in excess of 50 shearers working simultaneously. Following the WW 1 the homestead landholding was reduced and separated to allow for soldier re-settlement programs.
A visit to Jondaryan reveals to the visitor a fabulous and prosperous past existed in the area.
In 1975 Jondaryan Woolshed Historical Museum and Park was established to present the history of Jondaryan Station and its role in the development of pastoralist on the Darling Downs. The woolshed has been in continuous operation since it was built. If visiting with a family allows a day to delight in what is on offer.
For the campervan/caravaner, when visiting the Historical Museum be sure to stay over.