MILES

Traveling west after Chinchilla along the Warrego Hgy the town of Miles is encountered. Miles is also due south of Wandoan, our last Leichardt Hgy town. Miles, after all of the other smaller communities after Emerald is a big change.

Formerly known as Dogwood Crossing, the town is situated on Dogwood Creek, named by German explorer Ludwig Leichhardt in 1844. The town was renamed Miles in honour of the Queensland Colonial Secretary, William Miles

The economy of Miles is based mainly on agriculture and cropping, producing wheat, sorghum, barley and cotton. Timber production is another area of economic activity and in common with much of Western Queensland, cattle and sheep grazing, including feedlots is widespread.

In addition, a mining industry utilising rich deposits of bentonite clay is developing.

.Miles Historic Village is a class act and is a highly recommended visit. Be sure to study the detail in the pictures and charts in the War Museum and the Union Hotel. A discovered ancestor perhaps.

The Hotels in Miles are the traditional pub buildings.

The Miles War Memorial is in the main street.

The Miles Churches are of the modern era.

The Dogwood Centre should be visited.

 

 

Fireplace Dump Station
General Store Bottled Gas
Internet Caravan
Camping 4WD
Kitchen Facilities Disabled access
Laundry Toilets
Campervans Accommodation
Meals Airport
Pets Allowed   Boat Ramp
Telephone Picnic Area
Roadside Rest Area Electricity
Scenic Swimming
Tap water   Thermal Area
Stream Water   Walking tracks
Rotary Club Lions Club
Gymnasium   Gardens
Winery   Whitewater Rafting
Surfing   Skydiving
Skiing   Scenic Flights
Postal Service Police
Movie Location   Mountain Biking
Kayaking   Jet Boating
Information Hospital
Hang Gliding Golf Course