Every now and then a traveler is surprised. Pittsworth is one such town. The second of the two Goondiwindi to Toowoomba towns of substance that one passes through. Except Pittsworth is now a ‘bypass’ town, and having to confront the loss of casual, but substantial stop-offs. Pittsworth is an increasingly Toowoomba commute town.
Situated on the Darling Downs, Pittsworth owes its existence to that great explorer and botanist Allan Cunningham who in early June 1827 discovered and named the area around Warwick and to the north, the Darling Downs.
Pittsworth grew up around a hotel (the Beauraba) which attracted itinerant rural workers and local landholders. As such the town was originally known as Beauaraba but the name was changed in 1915 in honour of a prominent local family who took up land at Goombungee in 1854.The hotel and surrounding land was taken over by the Lindenberg family in the early 1940s and was converted into a vintage auto museum which, by the 1960s became the largest of its kind in the southern hemisphere. Now no longer.
Pittsworth today remains as a service centre to local agricultural enterprises and has a small manufacturing base.
This town is too easy to bypass, but two profound and great religious masterpieces determine a stop-over.