Ardrossan is the first town heading south after Port Wakefield down the Yorke Peninsular; a really nice spot this and should be planned to be an overnighter. Garden like settings, a Jetty and a number of heritage buildings give Ardrossan lots of character. Not the least the magnificent Royal Hotel.
The town was named by Governor Fergusson after the Ardrossan seaport in Scotland and it was proclaimed on 5 November 1873.
The town was largely initiated by wheat farmers and wheat transporters in the late 19th century who needed infrastructure to ship their produce across the Gulf St. Vincent to Port Adelaide. The site was chosen near an old boat landing at Parara. To this day wheat and barley are exported.
A jetty was constructed in 1878 to accommodate the steamships and windjammers used to ship grain.