Arno Bay was first proclaimed under the name Bligh in 1883, the current name dates back to 1940. It is a recreational town with a number of marine and nature based attractions, including fishing, surfing and diving.
The small town was initially proclaimed in 1882 by G.H. Ayliffe under the name of 'Bligh', after Captain William Bligh, although locals resisted the name change, continually referring to the town as 'Arno Bay' until the official name change.
The town continued to grow as a port until the point where it was exporting 11 000 tonnes of grain in 1940. In the same year, the decision was finally made to alter the town's official name to 'Arno Bay', named after a sand hill.
A stop over at Arno Bay should not be out of the equation.