Balaklava is another crossroads town that may be encounted traveling between Port Wakefield and Auburn. Off the main travel route but still a rich agricultural region.
Balaklava is an interesting and very different town. No square/grid like street setup at Balaklava. No. A series of hub and spokes determine the street design at this small town. What a delightful change. Early history probably drove this planning quirk.
The name of the town was originally spelled Balaclava. The reason for the change is presumed with confusion with the now suburb of Balaclava in Melbourne.
The first European settlers in the area were James and Mary Dunn who opened a hotel in 1850. The town was laid out by Charles Fisher in 1869 and named it after the Battle of Balaklava He built large grain stores on the tramway from Hoyleton to the nearby port, intending to encourage farmers to settle near the town. The first Hotel erected in the township of Balaklava was the Balaklava Hotel, later called the Royal. Thomas Saint borrowed the finances from Thomas James Manton and applied for the Hotel Keepers License on 17/11/1870 and was granted license No.17 of 1871 on 04/04/1871.
The immediate economic future for Balaklava is uncertain. Rapid road transport is decimating and marginalizing some towns and centres. Balaklava amongst them.