Birdwood is the next town encounted in the Adelaide Hills, when traveling the short distance west from Gumeracha. The name Birdwood has origins in WW1.
Birdwood was formerly known as Blumberg, the German town named Birdwood was during World War 1, in 1917. The new name honoured by Sir William Birdwood of the AIF general who led the ANZACís at Gallipoli. The Birdwood War Memorial is a striking representation.
The original name's origins are uncertain, but early German settlers originating from a village of that same name is the most likely source. A strong Lutheran legacy remains to this day.
Birdwood grew with homes on land leased from G F Angas and a church some distance away. The town prospered by the 1850s, and the area was producing enough grain to justify the construction of the Blumberg Flour Mill (now the site of the motor museum). In 1865, during the local gold rush, the Blumberg Inn was built.