Cleve is a cross roads town on the
Eyre Peninsula that services a rich grain growing region. A nice small
town Cleve is. Tidy and well presented it is.
The town has its
origins in the 1850s, with the town established some twenty years
later. The new town was named after Cleve House, the county seat in
Devon, England of the Snow family, cousins of Sir William Jervois who
was the Governor of South Australia at the time.
Cleve is a hub
for farmers and suppliers on the Eyre Peninsula and hosts a field day
held each second year to offer the newest in farming equipment and
European settlers in the area were the three McKechnie brothers;
James, Peter and Donald who arrived in 1853.The first European woman
arrived in 1862; a wife of one of the brothers.
In 1878, the
current site of the town was inspected and surveyed, in anticipation
of creating a new town to serve the growing wool and crop industries
which were rapidly expanding.
The Cleve Museum is located one block
removed from the main street. The museum is housed in an heritage
The Cleve churches are a mix of the
very old and the very new.
The War Memorial in Cleve is the
traditional WW1acknowledgement with great presence.
The hotel in Cleve is the traditional
single level pub format.
Cleve is a really nice place and
visit, if a diversion is required is still recommended.