Cummins is a crossroads town in central Eyre Peninsula and is on the main highway that joins Port Lincoln and the Eyre Highway. Cummins also serves a rich grain producing region.

There is evidence of heritage controls in Cummins.

Cummins was named after William Patrick Cummins, a member of the South Australian House of Assembly from 1896 to 1907. Cummins was surveyed in 1902 a few years after the first settlers in the area arrived. The railway to Port Lincoln arrived in 1907.

The major industries are sheep and grain growing. There is a narrow gauge railway line to the deep-water port at Port Lincoln for exporting grain.

Cummins is the headquarters of the District Council of Lower Eyre Peninsula. It is in the state electoral district of Flinders and the federal Division of Grey.

The United and old Catholic Churches are well over 100 years old. The other denominations are a mix of the old and new. The Lutheran quite large and imposing.

The Cummins Hotel is an old and traditional pub format.

The Cummins War Memorial is situated at the northern entry to the township.

Although Cummins is a pleasant small town a diversion to visit is not necessary.

Heritage diary






Fireplace Dump Station
General Store Bottled Gas
Internet Caravan
Camping   4WD
Kitchen Facilities Disabled access
  Laundry Toilets
Campervans Accommodation
Meals   Airport
Pets Allowed   Boat Ramp
Telephone Picnic Area
Roadside Rest Area Electricity
  Scenic Swimming
Tap water   Thermal Area
Stream Water   Walking tracks
  Rotary Club Lions Club
Gymnasium   Gardens
  Winery   Whitewater Rafting
  Surfing   Skydiving
Skiing   Scenic Flights
Postal Service Police
Movie Location   Mountain Biking
  Kayaking Jet Boating
  Information Hospital
Hang Gliding   Golf Course