Elliston is the next town encountered when traveling south along the Eyre Peninsular. Elliston is a very small town. But prior to arriving at the town are the Hay Stack rock formations. Take the short diversion and marvel at these big ‘stones’.
The first recorded exploration of the adjacent coastline was by Matthew Flinders in the vessel Investigator from 10–13 February 1802. He named the offshore islands but did not note the presence of Waterloo Bay in his log.
Edward John Eyre explored the area on land in 1840 and 1841 on a journey to Western Australia from Port Lincoln. Originally named Waterloo Bay, the township was later named by Governor Sir William Jervois on a plan for the town on 23 November 1878. Locally it is believed to be named after the writer and educator Ellen Liston who was born in England in 1838 and emigrated to South Australia in 1850. She was a governess working on a local property (Nilkerloo) owned by John Hamp.