Gumeracha (waterhole in Aboriginal terms) is the next town encounted when driving the Adelaide Hills Region. Nice spot this and a surprise. That comes from having never heard of the place. Gumeracha is the home of the world’s biggest rocking horse. This huge proposition is a must visit and worth the diversion if the traveler is in the area.
Gumeracha as it turns out is one of South Australia's oldest settled areas. In 1839, William Beavis Randell built his home, Tinmath, at Kenton Park and built a flour mill in the 1840s. The estate housed his large family, his workforce and their families. In 1846, Randell donated land and funds for a church, and the Salem Baptist Church, an interesting American tobacco producing town, was built - the oldest Baptist church still in use in South Australia. The surrounding area, meanwhile, had become an agricultural centre, and the Gumeracha Farmers' Society held annual shows.
In 1855, Randell allocated land for a township and by 1860 the town was laid out. Commercial businesses sprang up on the main street (Victoria Street), and many fine buildings were erected, including the Post Office, Police Station & Court House (1864), Institute Hall, Town Hall (1909), a butter factory (1889), a school, a hospital, a coach-house, hotels, churches and business houses. Most of the buildings in use at this time still stand today.