KAPUNDA

Kapunda is the next ‘unda’ in the Barossa Valley towns. Kapunda is also a crossroads town. Kapunda is also a relatively prosperous town that successfully feeds off the Barossa Valley tourist boom.

Kapunda was established after a discovery in 1842 of significant copper deposits. Francis Dutton and Captain Charles Bagot, who both ran sheep in the area, discovered copper ore outcrops in 1842... Mining began with the removal of surface ore and had progressed to underground mining by the end of the year.

Kapunda is famous as the home of Sir Sidney Kidman. He was a major cattle pastoralist who at one time owned 68 properties with a total area larger than the British Isles He held annual horse sales at Kapunda with up to 3,000 horses sold during the week. His house, Eringa, was donated to the Education Department, and is still used as the administration building for Kapunda High School.

The Anglican has a ‘cathedral’ presence over the town. The Catholic Church is a few metres up the road from the Anglican. The United Church is downtown. The Lutheran on the eastern exit.

The Kapunda Museum is the ex Lutheran Church from a bygone era. The Museum is an active institution.

The Kapunda War Memorial and buildings is on the northern fringe of the town.

There are a four hotels in Kapunda; all of which century plus trading businesses.

There is a lot to enjoy in Kapunda and an overnight at a minimum is essential.

Heritage diary

 

 

 

 

 

Fireplace Dump Station
General Store Bottled Gas
Internet Caravan
Camping   4WD
Kitchen Facilities Disabled access
Laundry Toilets
Campervans Accommodation
Meals Airport
Pets Allowed Boat Ramp
Telephone Picnic Area
Roadside Rest Area Electricity
Scenic Swimming
Tap water   Thermal Area
Stream Water   Walking tracks
Rotary Club Lions Club
Gymnasium   Gardens
Winery   Whitewater Rafting
Surfing   Skydiving
Skiing Scenic Flights
Postal Service Police
Movie Location   Mountain Biking
Kayaking   Jet Boating
Information Hospital
Hang Gliding Golf Course