Mannum is the first town encounted when heading east towards the Murray Basin region of SA. Yes, Mannum is another Murray River town, and certainly a place the traveler will enjoy. Allow time to delight in this magic town.
Mannum is an historic town on the west bank of the Murray River in South Australia. The first settlement in the area was in 1840. The first ship (a side-wheel paddle steamer) built on the Murray River was launched at Mannum by William Randell in 1852. A shipbuilding industry continued in Mannum until into the 20th century. William Randell is memorialized by preservation of the boiler the Paddle Wheeler; Mary Ann in the town's recreation park. His dry dock today holds the Marion, an 1897 built paddle wheeler; managed by the National Trust of Australia as a museum. The Marion left active service in 1950 and spent until 1963 as a boarding house.
A number of other manufacturing industries were established in the town, and some continue; although not as large as they once were. The largest heavy manufacturing company was John Shearer (later Horwood-Bagshaw) who made farm equipment.
The Murray River has an important impact on Mannum.