PENOLA

Penola is a great small town encounted when heading north from Mount Gambier heading to Narracorte. A really nice town it is. The place has been made more famous with its early association with Saint Mary MacKillop. Be sure to stay over when visiting Penola. Heritage factors in Penola are presented really well.

The first Europeans to the area were the Austin brothers who arrived in 1840 and established a run of 109 square miles (282 kmē). The first settlers were Scottish -born Alexander Cameron and his wife Margaret in January 1844 after obtaining an occupation license. In April 1850 Cameron obtained 80 acres (0.3 kmē) of freehold land, his station was on a pastoral lease, and established the private town of Panoola, later known as Penola.

By 1850, Brad had built the Royal Oak Hotel and was doing extremely well financially supplying liquor to the many travelers passing through to the Victorian goldfields. Penola Post Office opened around 1852.

From a Mary MacKillop perspective the town has really made something out of that past association and will increasingly become a destination. There is a museum dedicated to Saint Mary.

The Penola War Memorial is on the northern fringe of the town.

The Heywards Royal Oak Hotel is a really great holiday hotel and a classic building. The Penola Hotel is at the other end of the town.

The Penola Churches are all over 100 years old.

Penola is a bit of a surprise packet and the traveler will delight in the town.

Heritage diary

 

Fireplace Dump Station
General Store Bottled Gas
Internet Caravan
Camping   4WD
Kitchen Facilities Disabled access
Laundry Toilets
Campervans Accommodation
Meals   Airport
Pets Allowed   Boat Ramp
Telephone Picnic Area
Roadside Rest Area Electricity
Scenic Swimming
Tap water   Thermal Area
Stream Water   Walking tracks
Rotary Club Lions Club
Gymnasium   Gardens
Winery   Whitewater Rafting
Surfing   Skydiving
Skiing Scenic Flights
Postal Service Police
Movie Location   Mountain Biking
Kayaking   Jet Boating
Information Hospital
Hang Gliding Golf Course