Port Broughton is the ninth port on the Yorke Peninsula/Spencer Gulf when heading west around the peninsular. Port Broughton is a heritage town that has a number of century plus buildings. Heritage is clearly important in this town. Port Broughton is both a port town and a community that services a rich agricultural industry.
Port Broughton was surveyed in 1871 to service the surrounding wheat and barley growers on the recommendation of Captain Henry Dale. It is on a sheltered inlet called Mundoora Arm Inlet at the extreme northern end of Yorke Peninsula. The town is named after the Broughton River (named by Edward John Eyre after William Broughton the first Anglican bishop of Australia) which flows into the gulf a few kilometres further north. Ketches carried the grain from the jetty 8 kilometres out into the gulf where the larger windjammers were anchored to carry the grain back to England. The windjammers ceased to call in 1949
The Port Broughton Hotel is a magnificent 120 year old tourist classic. This hotel will envelope that pub era enthusiast. Lead light/ original ceilings plus heritage care makes the pub a delight. A tavern type hotel operates from the northern exit from the town.