PORT ELLIOT

Port Elliot is the next town on the Fleurieu Peninsula heading to Kangaroo Island It is situated on the sheltered Horseshoe Bay, although this section of the coast is now built up almost all the way from Goolwa to Victor Harbour. That said Port Elliot is an independent town with most essential services.

Horseshoe Bay was proclaimed in 1851 and the settlement above the bay was named Port Elliot in 1852 after Charles Elliot the Governor of Bermuda, the who was a friend of the then Governor of South Australia, Sir Henry Young... The port was established to provide a safe seaport for the Murray River trade which terminated at the Murray Mouth was deemed too treacherous and unpredictable for safe navigation. Goods and passengers were carried between Goolwa and Port Elliot on the first public railway in Australia that was completed in 1854.

The two hotels in Port Elliot are over 100 years old.

The Port Elliot Museum is the ‘in use’ railway station.

The Port Elliot War Memorial is partway up the hill towards the coast.

The United and Anglican Churches are old and heritage listed. In fact there are a number of heritage buildings in Port Elliot.

This coastal port town is historic and more than a cursory look over is warranted.

Heritage diary

 

 

 

Fireplace Dump Station
General Store Bottled Gas
Internet Caravan
Camping   4WD
Kitchen Facilities Disabled access
Laundry Toilets
Campervans Accommodation
Meals   Airport
Pets Allowed Boat Ramp
Telephone Picnic Area
Roadside Rest Area Electricity
Scenic Swimming
Tap water   Thermal Area
Stream Water   Walking tracks
Rotary Club Lions Club
Gymnasium   Gardens
Winery Whitewater Rafting
Surfing   Skydiving
Skiing Scenic Flights
Postal Service Police
Movie Location   Mountain Biking
Kayaking Jet Boating
Information Hospital
Hang Gliding   Golf Course