PORT VINCENT

Port Vincent is the next small coastal town encounted when heading south on ‘the boot’ towards the toe. There is evidence in the town of heritage importance, but whilst the town is old most growth has come in the last half century. Port Vincent is also tourist and recreational fishing spot.

The town was laid out by Adelaide solicitor L.M. Cullen in 1877, originally known as Surveyor's Point, and today has a population of around 500.

In its early days it was a port exporting wheat, barley and wool. A seaside holiday destination for many years, recently it has been the site of a marina development. Port Vincent was named "Australia's Tidiest Town" in 2004. It has very active volunteer organisations including the CFS, Coast Guard, and Tidy Towns etc.

In 2003/04 a large marina was constructed in Port Vincent. The marina took up an area of beach which angered some locals. Port Vincent can also cater for schools on camp. The town has grown in size over the last few years with the release of land for housing.

The Port Vincent War Memorial is located in a remote park on a backstreet, but street signs will guide the visitor.

The Port Vincent hotel is a tavern type pub in the centre of the town.

Port Vincent has all main denominational churches in various building designs.

Port Vincent is a pretty coastal town and a stopover can be a consideration.

Heritage diary

 

Fireplace Dump Station
General Store Bottled Gas
Internet Caravan
Camping   4WD
Kitchen Facilities Disabled access
Laundry Toilets
Campervans Accommodation
Meals   Airport
Pets Allowed Boat Ramp
Telephone Picnic Area
Roadside Rest Area Electricity
Scenic Swimming
Tap water   Thermal Area
Stream Water   Walking tracks
Rotary Club Lions Club
Gymnasium   Gardens
Winery Whitewater Rafting
Surfing   Skydiving
Skiing   Scenic Flights
Postal Service Police
Movie Location   Mountain Biking
Kayaking Jet Boating
Information Hospital
Hang Gliding Golf Course