Heading north up the gulf and into warmer weather the traveler will reach Port Augusta. A nice place this is. Plenty of character, heritage management plus a clear evidence of community pride will ensure an extended stop over.
Port Augusta is a natural harbour which was settled on 24 May 1852 by Alexander Elder and John Grainger. The port was named after Augusta Sophia, Lady Young, the wife of the Governor of South Australia, Sir Henry Edward Fox Young.
Port Augusta’s growth in the early days was tied to the growth of rail. The standard gauge Adelaide-Darwin railway was finally completed in 2003. Port Augusta is also a stop on the Indian Pacific trans-continental train service on the Sydney–Perth railway and on the Ghan service between Adelaide, Alice Springs and Darwin.