TUMBY BAY

Traveling north from Port Lincoln the next town is Tumby Bay. This a great spot and a recommended stop over. Small yes, but all essential services at hand.

The bay was first explored and given the name Tumby Bay by Captain Matthew Flinders in 1802, after a parish in Lincolnshire, England. In 1840 Governor Gawler renamed the bay Harvey ('s) Bay after one other district's early settlers. Then on November 15, 1900 the town of Tumby was proclaimed by Governor Tennyson, and the name of the bay itself reverted to Tumby Bay. On June 14, 1984 the town officially became known as Tumby Bay.

A jetty constructed in 1874, only the second to be built on the Eyre Peninsula.

The churches in Tumby Bay are all century or near century old buildings and of classic design.

Likewise the Hotels are long serviced establishments.

The Tumby War Bay Memorial is located on the beach front.

The Tumby Bay Museums look to be the goods.

This is a really nice town. Be sure to enjoy.

Diary notes

 

 

Fireplace   Dump Station
General Store   Bottled Gas
Internet Caravan
Camping   4WD
Kitchen Facilities Disabled access
Laundry Toilets
Campervans Accommodation
Meals   Airport
Pets Allowed Boat Ramp
Telephone Picnic Area
Roadside Rest Area Electricity
Scenic   Swimming
Tap water   Thermal Area
Stream Water   Walking tracks
Rotary Club Lions Club
Gymnasium   Gardens
Winery Whitewater Rafting
Surfing Skydiving
Skiing Scenic Flights
Postal Service Police
Movie Location   Mountain Biking
Kayaking Jet Boating
Information Hospital
Hang Gliding Golf Course