Alexandra is an ‘old’ town that is passed through if heading north from Melbourne or heading to the Eildon Weir or Buller ski fields. Alexandra is an old town and is now mindful of its heritage. There is clearly a strong emphasis on this aspect of how future tourism will be cultivated.
The town was settled in the late 1860s, with a Post Office opening on 15 March 1867 (known until 24 April 1867) as Redgate.
The town was originally known as Redgate, or Red Gate Diggings. The current name either derives from Alexandra of Denmark, or from three men named Alexander (Alexander, McGregor, Alexander Don, and Alexander Luckie) who discovered gold in the area in 1866.
Charles Jones born Herefordshire also discovered Gold on the Luckie Mine in 1866. He bought a Hotel with John Henry Osborne and was the proprietor of the New York and London Hotel Grant Street Alexandra.
Many tourists pass through this town on and the town contains the Timber Tramway and Museum (located at the Alexandra Railway Station), and the National Trust classified post office and law courts.
There is a lot to admire about Alexandra, but the signage to the sort after is missing.