Birchip is a small crossroads town in the north central region of Victoria. The town has big wide roads, and has most essential services. If traveling from Melbourne to Mildura, Birchip is just short of the two-thirds mark.
Closer settlement began in the area by then known as Wirrimbirchip around 1882 and a Post Office under that name opened on 2 July 1883 (Birchip from 1 January 1890).The town was surveyed as Birchip in 1887 though known by the inhabitants by the original name for quite some years later.
The farms in the area typically grow grains, and other cereals. Some people have pig sheds, though most livestock in the district are sheep. There is a hospital which shares a lodge for elderly care and there is an aerodrome for light aircraft.