Camperdown is the next town heading east towards Geelong, or west if Warrnambool and beyond is the target. Camperdown is a place that requires the traveler to pause for a while, if not for a stopover visit. There is plenty of heritage on offer and on display at Camperdown.
The first British settlers arrived in the area from Van Diemen's Land (Tasmania) after 1835 to establish sheep runs. Although settlement was met with resistance by some of the local aborigines, the town's history also records remarkable instances of mutual assistance and friendship between native and settler peoples. Notable on this account is the family of David Fenton, the Scottish Presbyterian shepherd and drover who built the first house in Camperdown in 1853. The town was surveyed in 1851 and named Camperdown after the Scottish naval hero Lord Viscount Adam Duncan the Earl of Camperdown.