Charlton could be a drive through tow but there is quite a number of attributes that have appeal and linger or stay over could be a consideration. Charlton is considered as “The Friendly River Town", of Victoria. Charlton is a small agricultural community straddling the Avoca River. Its location, almost halfway between Melbourne and Mildura, makes Charlton a popular stop along the way for tourists.
Europeans occurred in 1848 when Robert Cay and William Kaye established a station and named the region after a town in Greenwich, England. Unlike many other towns in the region, Charlton was not established as a result of gold mining, but for pastoral purposes and the proximity to a permanent water supply (the Avoca River). The original town was named Charlton East due to its location on the eastern banks of the Avoca River.
One of the town's most prominent landmarks is the former hotel, the "Vale of Avoca", which was built on the site of an early bark hut inn by James & Elizabeth Egan in 1879. Built on a reef of stone, Mrs Egan named the building as being in the 'vale' or valley of the nearby Avoca River.