Cobram is the next Murray River town the traveler will encounter when heading west towards Mildura. Cobram is a ‘new’ town that has grown on the back of dairy and associated industries. The proximity to other growth centres has ensured this well managed town has participated in the growth spoils.
In January 1845, Octavius Phillpotts established Cobram station between the already existing Yarrawonga and Strathmerton stations in 1855. In 1868, the township of Cobram, bound by Warkil Street to the west and the Murray River to the east was reserved for future use. Up until this time, the area of Cobram was part of the Echuca Shire and then in 1886, the government produced the town plan for Cobram.