DIGBY

Digby is one of those very small in Victoria that is remote and located at the cross roads of two secondary roads. Should you be traveling from Portland to Coleraine, or Casterton to Port Fairy, then you may pass through Digby.

The town is named after Digby Lincolnshire in England. The Henty Brothers established the first European settlement in the Digby area in 1837. In 1843, The Woolpack Inn was establishing near modern Digby; it burnt down in 1887. By 1847 the town consisted of the inn, a blacksmith and a series of huts. The town was officially surveyed in 1852.

 In 1857, a second inn—the Digby Hotel—was established; the hotel still exists today, although rebuilt after fire in 1935. Shortly afterwards, on 1 June 1858, Digby Post Office opened.

The first sitting of the Supreme Court of Victoria outside Melbourne was in Digby in 1869. By 1874 the town had a post office, two hotels, four shops and a school.

There is very little remaining of earlier enterprises, but from a World War 1 perspective the town will be noted for its amazing foresight. In this Memorial Avenue of trees each tree is dedicated to an individual soldier.

The Digby Hotel is now an all purpose business, but uniqueness and quirkiness should determine a stopover for refreshment.

There are two remaining and active churches both over 100 years old.

Should the traveler pass through Digby, be sure to stop awhile and admire that Memorial Avenue.

Heritage diary

 

Fireplace   Dump Station
General Store   Bottled Gas
Internet   Caravan
Camping   4WD
Kitchen Facilities   Disabled access
Laundry Toilets
Campervans   Accommodation
Meals   Airport
Pets Allowed   Boat Ramp
Telephone Picnic Area
Roadside Rest Area Electricity
Scenic   Swimming
Tap water   Thermal Area
Stream Water   Walking tracks
Rotary Club   Lions Club
Gymnasium   Gardens
Winery   Whitewater Rafting
Surfing   Skydiving
Skiing   Scenic Flights
Postal Service Police
Movie Location   Mountain Biking
Kayaking   Jet Boating
Information   Hospital
Hang Gliding   Golf Course