EILDON

The modern Eildon is a ‘dam construction’ town built in the 1950’s. The dam provides a strong summer tourism season with both fishers and aqua sports being dominant. Eildon is at the end of the road so if there is not a strong interest in those activities the Eildon is not for you.

Following the conclusion of the construction of the weir, a vast number of workers opted to stay in the new township.

A Post Office named Eildon opened on November 14, 1890 and closed in 1893. Later a Post Office named Eildon Weir opened on August 23, 1915 and was renamed Eildon in about 1950.

The township was relocated to its present position when the new dam was built in the 1950s.

The lake that shares its name with the town is a renowned playground for water sports and camping.

The Catholic Church is a building of some substance. The Anglican a wooden structure.

The Eildon War Memorial is located in the town centre.

There is no museum in Eildon.

The Eildon Hotel is a resort pub.

A trip to the dam wall is recommended and a spot to marvel at the size of this dam.

A trip to Eildon is also a recommendation, but the traveler to be mindful the town is on a spur.

Heritage diary

 

 

 

 

 

Fireplace Dump Station
General Store Bottled Gas
Internet Caravan
Camping 4WD
Kitchen Facilities Disabled access
Laundry Toilets
Campervans Accommodation
Meals   Airport
Pets Allowed Boat Ramp
Telephone Picnic Area
Roadside Rest Area Electricity
Scenic Swimming
Tap water   Thermal Area
Stream Water Walking tracks
Rotary Club Lions Club
Gymnasium   Gardens
Winery Whitewater Rafting
Surfing Skydiving
Skiing Scenic Flights
Postal Service Police
Movie Location Mountain Biking
Kayaking Jet Boating
Information Hospital
Hang Gliding Golf Course