Elmore is a small town on the main highway to Echuca. The town is on the junction of the eastern feed road from Shepparton, Bendigo and Melbourne, so Elmore is a traffic heavy town. From a heritage perspective Elmore is very active in preservation. For such a small town this is a delight to observe.
In the 1840s a small settlement developed on the Campaspe River servicing pastoral runs. The Post Office opened on 1 January 1849 as Bertram's Inn. On 1 January 1850 it was renamed Campaspie (sic). In 1864 when the township was established the name became Runnymede and in around 1882 the name was changed again to Elmore.
In the first week of October one of Australia's oldest and largest ‘field days’ is held at Elmore. In 2004 there were 45,000 visitors. The first field day was held at Elmore in 1964. There is now a permanent site with pavilions, conference rooms and catering facilities which is hired out.