Gunbower is the first community after Echuca and heading west along the Murray River to Mildura. Gunbower is a strip township with limited services;
The town is located in the Shire of Campaspe, 272 kilometres (169 mi) north of the state capital, Melbourne on the banks of Gunbower Creek. At the 2006 census, Gunbower had a population of 269.
Gunbower Post Office opened on 8 March 1876.
Gunbower has a horse racing club, the Gunbower Racing Club, which holds the Gunbower Cup meeting in October (the only meeting for the year).
Gunbower is a small place and a stopover is unlikely. If the time is right refreshment or a coffee is a consideration.