Heywood is a clean and well presented town just 20k’s north of Portland. The town will be encountered when heading west from Portland to Mount Gambier. The town has won and enters into the tidy town competitions. The region of the town was once forest and its early being and that of Portland was the timber industry.
Prior to European settlement the area was occupied by the Gunditjmara Aborigines. David Edgar built the Bush Tavern on the townsite in 1842 and a settlement emerged. Formerly known as Fitzroy Crossing it became known as Edgar's. The township was surveyed in 1852 by Lindsay Clarke who named it after Heywood, Wiltshire in England. The first town allotments were sold in 1854 and a Post Office opened on August 8, 1857.