Koondrook is the next town, and small the traveler encounters heading west along the Murray River highways. Koondrook is the poor cousin to Barham, just over the river in NSW. Clearly, citizens from Koondrook do not see their futures that way. What are very obvious is the citizens of both Koondrook and Barham are of a single community.
This is most evident with the housed and carved tree monuments. Visitors should take the time to note the efforts that both underpin and the selection process that accorded the monuments being commissioned.
The Wemba-Wemba Aborigines were thought to have occupied the Koondrook area prior to European settlement commencing in 1843. The Post Office opened on 1 March 1879. In 1889 the Kerang-Koondrook Tramway was opened linking the town to the Victorian railway network, being officially closed on 3 March 1981.
Industry in the area includes dairying on the river flats and citrus production using irrigation supplied from the Murray River. Timber from the surrounding state forests is used in the production of quality red gum timber and furniture.
Fishing and camping in the area popular activities for tourists in the surrounding state forests. The forests are important breeding areas for colonial water birds and are visited by migratory birds.
The district determines a stopover is in order.