Malmsbury is a small town not too far from the approach to Kyneton. Malmsbury’s byline is that of history and heritage. There is not a lot of evidence to support the claim. The town is currently suffering ‘by-pass’ syndrome, but its freeway proximity to Kyneton and Melbourne will assist the longer term economic outlook.
European settlement began with squatters raising sheep and cattle. Gold was discovered in 1858 and the town became a service centre for diggers traveling to Bendigo and Castlemaine. Malmesbury [sic] Post Office opened on 9 November 1854, closed within two months, reopened in 1856, and was renamed Malmsbury around 1896
The Malmsbury area is known for its deposits of bluestone, used in the construction of notable buildings both locally and throughout the state, evidenced by the number of churches in Victoria that have used the stone. To this day the bluestone is produced.
The 1850’s Anglican Church is worth taking the diversion.