Manangatang is the next town visited when the Ouyen diversion is taken when traveling westwards to Mildura. The Murray River towns that have been bypassed will be picked up via the return route.
It is sometimes noted for its unusual name, from an Aboriginal term "Manang” word for Land and "Kaaitin” meaning Water on or near the present township, Mr. A T Creswick who held the BUMBANG Station had a hut. Surveyed blocks each about a square mile in area was available in 1911 Manangatang was proclaimed a town in 1915.
Miss Alice McKinnon from that time until 1958 when she sold the premises was the Post Mistress. Her 44 years of service was recognized by the public at a gathering in her honour that year. A progress association was successful in having state School no 3263 opened on September 26th 1914
The local area consists mainly of farming, primarily wheat and sheep but also cows and birds such as squab.